In these times when it is more pressing to respect safety regulations in those jobs that entail, as an added risk, working at heights or places with difficult access, it is convenient to have the services of a professional company capable of solving safety problems and applications that commonly exist in this type of work. Do we know who we hire?
The security systems that exist and are currently being developed, specifically for vertical jobs, entail considerable savings as the use of scaffolding is unnecessary, avoiding inconvenience, the danger that someone can access our home through them, as well as the expenses that these are always paired.
To the considerable economic savings in carrying out the work, we add the high quality of the materials used (which can be applied if we have the significant cost savings of scaffolding) and always has a favorable impact on the quality-price ratio of the work. .
The speed of execution of the work entrusted is another of the factors that encourage companies, neighborhood communities, etc. to hire a professional rope access company.
A professional vertical work company can offer the possibility of hiring works with more security, faster execution, with the most appropriate materials and on many occasions … at a more competitive price than with conventional means !!
Seen this way, who is not encouraged to hire a vertical work company to carry out that work that requires a high economic cost?
Are we sure that the company we are going to hire is professional?
Do we take into account only the economic offer, compared to other companies in the sector?
Will cheap be expensive?
Will we take legal action in the event of an accident?
These questions, and some more, are often not asked by the contractor, he simply chooses the most economical offer.
Even considering that all vertical work companies can carry out the work in the same way, it is necessary to take into account, due to its great importance, the respect for the safety regulations in its execution, to avoid the damages derived from falls from a height Both the operator who performs his work suspended from the ropes, as well as the materials or tools that could fall and cause damage to people or vehicles.
The application of safety
standards in this type of work is one of the most important factors to take into account, not in vain, safety is quality.
The training of workers, the equipment and techniques used, the individual protection equipment together with collective protection are the sections that present the most defects when carrying out the work.
Performing vertical work carries obligations and responsibilities that we cannot ignore. Whether we are businessmen or regular workers in this activity, we must respect the laws, abiding by the obligations attached to the work carried out. On the other hand, hiring non-legal companies carries a serious responsibility since the contractor is subsidiary responsible for the damages that occur.
(deteriorated or poorly maintained materials, defective, insufficient or improperly installed anchor points, or a lack of accredited training in this type of work).
They are the main umbilical cord of vertical workers, which must be approved for vertical work and comply with the UNE-EN-1891 standard. The duration and resistance of the ropes are related to a series of prevention measures to be taken into account by the user of the ropes or a consultant team in occupational safety, but the latter is non-existent in a high percentage in the majority of the companies of this features.
Steps to follow in the control of one of the main elements of vertical safety :
● Preserve from contact with water as it reduces its resistance by up to 10%.
● Limit the use of a rope to a certain time, bearing in mind that from the date of manufacture, the resistance of the rope decreases progressively depending on how it is used.
● Avoid constant exposure to sunlight.
● Keep them clean of mud, mortar, oils, primers, etc. In case you have to clean them, always use neutral detergents.
● Preserve the rope from the abrasive effects derived from rubbing against elements that protrude from the vertical of the line, and therefore always use protectors.
● Use duly certified rope access companies
● All ropes must bear, at one end, a label indicating the maximum load, the storage time, the conditions of use, the time of exposure to the elements, etc. In addition to the work ropes, there are ropes called cords or tapes characterized by having a diameter of 6 mm, 8 mm, or less, which are used to suspend tools or machinery or to secure small objects.
All this, without any regulatory criteria, only under the criteria of professionalism of the operator.